The Eastmost Point
I've been to the four corners of Britain:
- Ardnamurchan,
- Lizard Point,
- Dunnet Head, and
- Lowestoft.
I've been to the southernmost and westernmost points in Scotland -
- the Mull of Galloway, and
- St Kilda.
So what about Scotland's easternmost point? Most people will probably tell you it is Keith Inch, the easternmost part of Peterhead Harbour in Aberdeenshire, but they'd be wrong: Shetland claims not just the most northerly point at Muckle Flugga, but also the most easterly, at Out Skerries. Bound Skerry sits at a longitude of 0° 43' 37" West, more than a degree of latitude east of Peterhead at 1° 45' 51" W. The Out Skerries are a bit of an expedition for me, but on a recent trip to Aberdeenshire, Peterhead was only a few miles away. Why not visit? I was excited. To stand on the easternmost point of the Scottish mainland and complete the set of Peterhead, Dunnet Head, Ardnamurchan Point and the Mull of Galloway! It would take a dull man indeed not look forward to it.
It wasn't quite what I expected.
Peterhead Harbour is some place. Had we come to see the largest fishing port in Europe I would have been impressed: dozens of iron hulls, an immense sea-wall, fleets of refrigerated articulated lorries, a great amount of bustle in this huge machine for extracting value from the sea. Somehow there weren't any restrictions on us wandering around this industrial site, and we made it as far as a high fence, and a gate... which was locked. This was as far east as we could go. Beyond our reach, a nondescript jumble of concrete blocks and industrial debris marked the easternmost point of mainland Scotland. I expected more. Previously, I have maligned Ness Point in Lowestoft as an underwhelming experience. Yet what a lovely spot it is compared to this place of warehouses and fences, smelling of fishy decay.
But I don't want to leave things there. On our way to Peterhead we'd passed an attractive, candy-striped lighthouse. Retracing our steps brought us to Buchan Ness, 3km south of Peterhead Harbour. In terms of longitude it's a further couple of hundred metres west of Keith Inch, but it's a far more attractive place of low rocks and lichens, sea thrift and breezes, a sparkling sea and seagulls riding the breeze. You can actually stay in the lighthouse keepers' cottages. It is such a lovely spot, I'm declaring it the unofficial easternmost point in the Scottish mainland. If you've been to Buchan Ness, I reckon that counts.


Comments