Saturday 13 December 2008

The Weekend Fix

I suppose now is the time to introduce to you all my new book, The Weekend Fix, to be published in June 2009 by Sandstone Press:



It's about hillwalking, friendship, weather, bagging, and getting away for the weekend. Following the philosophy of The Angry Corrie, it is not about any heroic or mighty acheivements, like Hamish Brown's 'Hamish's Big Walk' or W.H. Murray's pseudo-psychological, mythical mountaineering classics: it's about the more banal, yet more recognisable world of getting some fresh air, exercise and a bit of banter at the weekend.

Most of us don't go into the hills for the transcendant experiences described in the purple prose of many outdoor books - most of us do not have awe-inspring tales to recount like Ranulf Fiennes or Reinhold Messner. For most of us, hillwalking is just something to do at the weekend.

Yet this is still a worthwhile activity, a vaild thing to do with our spare time, and something that - if written about well - can provide as much inspiration as stories of more impressive feats. I hope this book inspires some to get out there, entertains others with knowing nods of recognition, and most importantly of all, sells many thousands of copies.

14 comments:

Dave said...

Is it going to have any of your photos in it Craig?

Robert Craig said...

I think so, won't know for sure until later.

Billy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Billy said...

When are they bringing out the film?

I want God to play me.

Does it have any photos of say ben dearg in it?

Russell Crow can play you

Swarchenegger can play Thorsten

Ainsley Harriet can play Harry,

Craig David can play Dave

Billy said...

Actually, I think Chas n'Dave would be a better choice for Dave

Billy said...

Why not put a taster sample on your blog?

Robert Craig said...

Don't know yet if it has photos - that is up to the publisher (there are photos ready if they want them - but none of Beinn Dearg).

I expect a sampler will appear on the blog at some point nearer the publication date!

I also have pictures in another book that is already published...

Billy said...

I also have pictures in another book that is already published...


Which book?

Just realised, Brian needs cast....

Robert Craig said...

This book - it has pictures of Glasgow in it:

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/news/news-articles/0807/08070105

Brian needs cast? What, in plaster?

Dave said...

Hmmm £42.50, I'll have to take your word for it!

Dave said...

Billy, why dont you write a book too. You could call it "Late Afternoons in the Hills - One Man's Quest to be Last Out of Bed"
Chapter 1 Dave Has to Take Down the Tent While I'm Still in my Pit to have any chance at a summit that day

Dave said...

Not that I'm bitter or anyfink!

Robert Craig said...

A snappier title - "Billy's Sunsets"

Billy said...

A snappier title - "Billy's Sunsets"


That's cos I'm hard and get up the hill 2 hrs before I start climbing