Thursday 23 January 2014

The Lost View

I wandered around the vicinity of Sauchiehall St looking for viewpoints, finally hitting upon an office block near Blythswood Square whose top floor, I reckoned, would have the best view of Glasgow School of Art. Rennie Mackintosh's masterpiece is crowded in by other buildings and hard to see properly from the street, but its secret southern skyline should be visible in its full glory from this particular building. However security wouldn't let me pass. "There's an event on up there, sorry sir," was my lot. Were they being treated to an amazing view? Not knowing maddened me.

To make up for my disappointment, I headed for a tower block at the top of Garnethill that is part of the School of Art complex. Itself an ugly building, its top floor boasts a wonderful view across Park Circus in Glasgow's West End. I'd been up years ago with a film SLR, and wanted to return with a digital camera. But where had it gone! I stood at the site, nonplussed. It had been demolished. The only way you can now get the view below is from a hot air balloon or helicopter. The stairwell I took the photo from - between the 9th and 10th floors - is now landfill.

The lost view of Park Circus: 


I will return to the Blythswood Square office block and try again. Perhaps I should contact architectural photographer Neale Smith to find out how he gets roofline access to buildings in Glasgow. I should do it soon before they demolish that building too...

No comments: